Monday 29 July 2013

Is it just me or is this year flying by?

I cannot believe it is almost August already, I swear it only feels like yesterday that I had a newborn baby. It's strange to think that we are creeping ever closer to her first birthday, my little baby is not so little any more. I have to say though, that I am looking forward to when she is of an age where she can communicate with us, I love having conversations with my son. It really is fascinating how their little minds work, so innocent and full of wonder.

Speaking of first birthdays, I put of a lot of time and effort in to my son's first birthday and I feel like it is only fair that I should do the same for my daughter. It was exhausting (lots of baking leading up to the day) and I was too busy playing host on the day that I didn't have as much time to just chill and appreciate it all. I will try and learn from that this time round but I still think it's only fair to make a fuss of her...you only turn one once! I'm not going crazy over the top (I didn't for him either really) but I will still invite lots of friends and family to help celebrate it (and hence cater for all those people). I think I will start getting organised after our Melbourne trip, so probably put bits and pieces away starting in September.

I'm really excited for our Melbourne trip, our first family holiday with the 4 of us. This will be my son's second time in Melbourne and on a plane, I wonder how excited he will be this time around now that he's a bit older. We are hoping to take him to see the old trains while we are down there as well, unfortunately we aren't there at a time that they have the Thomas the Tank Engine train running, he would have loved that. It's funny how your priorities change when you go away now, it's about making things fun for the kids and doing things that they will enjoy.

We are also planning a family overnight trip to the Sunshine Coast in September, my husband is doing the Stampede (kind of like Tough Mudder but not as long). So we decided to make a small trip of it and get an apartment for the night and all go to Australia Zoo for the first time the day after. I can't wait to take my son there, I think he will have a great time.

I look forward to making these sort of family memories together, I never really went on holidays as a kid so it means a lot to me to be able to do this kind of stuff for my own kids. We hope to one day (when they are both old enough to appreciate it) take them to Disneyland, that was my dream as a kid...it seems so magical. I have to say that after going there in my late twenties before starting our family, I can't wait to be able to take my kids there. Overseas travel as a family seems daunting, not to mention ridiculously expensive...but we hope to make it happen. We both love to travel after living in London and I don't think that should all end once you have a family, we will just have to be that much more organised...and it will take that much longer to save for it.

If anyone has any tried and tested ways to keep toddlers entertained on a flight and in the car, feel free to share.

Till next time xo

No comments:

Post a Comment