Monday 4 July 2011

1 more sleep to go...

Till the hubby is away for a few nights, part of me is like 'suck it up, it's only a few nights'. Then there is the other part of me that will miss him terribly and is a little apprehensive about how I will go being on my own with our son.

Deep down I know I will be fine, I am with him just the two of us most of the time anyway. I think it is also partly that I crave that companionship and adult conversation when he gets home from work. Like most men, my husband is not big on talking for ages on the phone. Don't get me wrong, he calls me every day to see how things are going etc, it is just that they rarely last more than a minute or two.

Although absence definitely makes the heart grow fonder when it comes to us, I think we are both guilty of sometimes taking the other for granted. Time apart makes us both appreciate what we have.

So an update on the whole sleep situation, I have decided I can't try and stretch our son out too much as that just seems to make him harder to settle and doesn't result in him sleeping any longer.

A girlfriend has given me a copy of her book to read 'Save Our Sleep' by Tizzie Hall. I was always against the idea of a strict regimen/routine. I didn't want to be restricted by it and feel as though I had to plan my life around those specific times. However I am getting to a point where I am starting to realise that having some sort of structure to our day might see improvements. I can't even begin to imagine having him sleep through the night, it would be like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. Ha!

I think it is going to take some time though, he still doesn't know how to resettle himself after one sleep cycle and I have found that the only way to get him to go back to sleep for a second cycle, is if I pick him up and rock/pat/sway etc. He is lasting longer between feeds now though, thankfully, as he was wanting it every couple of hours or so previously.

So I will try and attempt to stick to some sort of routine, today is the first day and he hasn't been able to last as long between sleeps or sleep as long as he should each time so we are a bit out of whack. Will persevere and hope for the best...wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment